The "Faith at Work" blog series is created and written by Pastor Doug Kahl, LSSM's Organizational Chaplain. Look for a new entry every week!
One of the greatest spiritual gifts that can be offered in times of disaster is hope. Hope is extended by our presence with those suffering, by listening ears that hear the pain and sorrow, and by well-timed words of hope. The following Bible passages are quoted from the “Serendipity Bible,” NIV. They are here to use with others and to bring a renewed sense of God’s direction for you.
1. Ruth 1:16-17… But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.”
2. Psalm 23
3. Psalm 91:11-12… For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in your hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
4. Psalm 103:8… The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
5. Psalm 121:7-8… The Lord will keep you from all harm – he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
6. Psalm 138:7-8a… Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hands against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me.
7. Isaiah 46:4… Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
8. Isaiah 41:10… So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
9. Matthew 76:7… Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
10. Matthew 11:28… Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.